What to Bring:
1. A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport)
2. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
a. non-photo ID/driver’s license (some states still have them)
b. birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
c. social security card
d. library card
e. utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed
to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on
the Form 605.
3. Students/minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID,
minor’s work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a
4. Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal
Registration Number (FRN); VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit
either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application
form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then
you may register your SSN with the FCC before exam day. Once you
have a FCC issued FRN, you may no longer use your SSN on the
application. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the
FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC’s FAQ page and the
FCC’s registration instructions page. Please note that some
exam teams will only accept a valid FRN on your application.
Check with your local exam team before exam day.
5. If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio
license or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, ARRL
website or QRZ website, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any
Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may
hold from previous exam sessions. If your license has already been
issued by FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The
photocopy(s) will not be returned.
6. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
7. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free
of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during
the exam session and the phones’ calculator function may not be used.
In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices
and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT
8. Bring a check, a money order or cash to cover the exam session fee(s).
Check the ARRL VEC’s current exam fees.